Saturday, May 22, 2010

Effigy Showpiece






Last quarter in my Introduction to Fashion Design class we were assigned to design a ten piece collection. My inspiration for the collection were different time periods ranging from the Edwardian era to the 1940s. For this specific showpiece my inspiration was victorian porcelain dolls.
The first step to making this dress was actually finding a dress...weird right? We had to go to a Goodwill and find a dress that had potential and altar completely. I took about 4 ft. off the bottom, raised the waistline, shortened the sleeves, and created a v-neck in the back.
Aside from the construction, the most important part was to find buttons and paper doilies. Yes, the dress is made out of paper doilies and buttons! I actually hand dyed all the doilies in tea! Overall that process took me about 15 hours in order to get the right shade. Even though it was time consuming I had a lot of fun using everyday items.
As for the photo shoot I had a fantastic photographer as well as a model. My jobs for the photo shoot were styling, hair, and makeup. As for the location, I couldn't have picked a better spot! One of my friend's was kind enough to offer me her house for an entire day. The house just fit my mood so perfectly!
I am very happy with how the shoot turned out and I hop you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment